Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Threats & Blackmail: The Favored Weapon of Alice and Other Students in Taiwan

  It is not uncommon in Taiwan for students to threaten and blackmail a school's administration to get their way. I witnessed or heard about this bizarre and frightful situation at more than one school I taught at. In most cases, the student or students got most, if not all, they sought.
  During the first months of my nightmare situation with the nursing university, one of my colleagues confided in me that she was told Alice had also threatened the school. She told the school that if they did not take action on her accusation against me, and if they didn't reverse my contract renewal, that she would go to the media and report her allegation and accuse the school of not protecting her. 
  Later, in an email to me in February 2008, the same colleague reminded me of Alice's threat while explaining a then-current problem with other students who were threatening to go public with unflattering allegations in order to scare off students considering attending the school.
  Here's the part of her email discussing both threats:
Dr. Tsay was not present, but the vice chairperson of nursing department. She continued to say that these 'victim' students threatened the college if this matter cannot be solved with satisfaction, they are going to tell the perspective (sic) students of NTCN who are high school fellows of these 'victim' students that NTCN is a bad school and they'd better not come to study.  Wow!  It sounds familliar.  Do you remember that Alice Yang said the same thing that "if the mass media or legislators know about this harrassment, our college will not have the chance to upgrade..."  NTCN is afraid of being threatened.

No comments:

Post a Comment