Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Final Statement to the Court

  Here is most of the content of my Final Statement to the court. It was originally ready to be presented both orally and in writing to the previous judge in September 2010, but he did not allow me the chance. 
  Because the new judge neglected to tell me to be prepared for oral debate at the final hearing on April 7, I did not have the Final Statement and new evidence with me to present. I ended up having to postpone my Taiwan departure that same evening in order to prepare this, another document and the photos you see again to submit to the court before leaving Taiwan. This delay caused me to overstay my visa by one day and upon my departure on April 8 I had to pay a fine plus in the future I must apply for a visa to enter Taiwan unless my appeal to the Ministry of the Interior is accepted.  
  A lot of unnecessary trouble caused by the callousness and unprofessional behavior of the previous attorney, the Legal Aid Foundation and the court.

                                            Final Statement to the Court 

1.         If I had really touched Alice Yang as alleged, I had a LEGAL and HUMAN RIGHT at the moment or soon after to know from her that she felt uncomfortable by something she thought I did, not 2 weeks later by telephone from the nursing college. If she thought she had really been touched by me, then I had a right to know so that I could have reasonable and proper opportunity to dispute and reject her claims and with many witnesses around also the chance to question them immediately to confirm the falsity of Alice Yang’s allegation…before everyone  was gone and my fair and rightful chance to clear this matter immediately was robbed by Alice and the nursing college’s plot to defame and damage me.
2.         By failing to speak to me or a third party at the time she alleges I touched her, she denied me my LEGAL and HUMAN RIGHTS to respond and object to her accusation in a timely manner that would have allowed me to clear the matter or to take reasonable measures to protect my innocence and rights by discussing the matter with Alice Yang and others present at the time and place of the alleged incident. But, because NO SUCH TOUCH actually happened, Alice Yang and her classmate instead waited at least 2 days to report this false accusation so that my chance to respond to and dispute such an accusation were severely diminished and compromised. By doing this, it allowed Alice, her classmate, and the nursing college to create their story, obscure the actual facts and events of that day, to prepare the “investigation” in such a way as to ensure the result they desired, before informing me of the accusation and after such time that it would be more difficult for me to defend the truth and myself. 
3.         Alice Yang conspired with Witness A, and perhaps others, to delay reporting this fraudulent accusation until after the activity was long over in order to severely diminish my opportunities to provide timely and unequivocal evidence to defend myself from this false allegation. There were many other witnesses present, plus video cameras and other means available from which I could immediately disprove any attempt by Alice to falsely accuse me of touching her.  This amounts to obstruction of justice. We were in a public, not private, place where there were countless potential witnesses (besides the ones set up by NTCN), video cameras, security cameras, digital cameras, etc that would have provided further evidence of my innocence had the Alice Yang or the witness spoken up at the event AND the nursing college not further obstructed justice. Alice Yang waited 2 days to report her false accusation. The only reason I knew about it one week later was because a sympathetic colleague had already heard about the accusation from others at NTCN and she felt I had no idea what was going on. NTCN obstructed justice by purposely avoiding my attempts to talk to the president and Dr. Tsai find out exactly what the accusation was AND by not notifying about the accusation until three weeks after it was reported. In addition, when I got the phone call from the counseling center asking me to meet with them and unnamed others they refused for over 5 minutes to tell me the purpose of the meeting. From the start of this whole sham the nursing college made every attempt to obstruct justice, including tampering with witnesses to prevent them from telling me or the investigation committee anything that supported my innocence.
4.         The college president and other administrators  purposely failed to acknowledge the existence of the accusation against me for 3 weeks from the time Alice Yang reported it, including avoiding my attempts to speak to them about the matter from the first time I heard about it on June 11. They were also part of the conspiracy to diminish my opportunities to fairly and properly defend myself from this false accusation while at the same time coordinating their unjust “investigation” so as to ensure it would result in the only conclusion they wanted – guilty – despite the weight of evidence that no such sexual harassment happened.
5.         In addition, I was told by one of my witnesses (an employee of the nursing college) that she was told by the college president not to discuss Alice Yang’s accusation with me and that all staff & faculty were directed by the president not to talk to me about the accusation. Employees caught talking to me about this were subject to blacklisting or possible termination if they were contract employees.
6.        The same employee also told me that a) she was approached by Alice Yang and Alice said to her that she believed the employee (Ms. Lin Liju) supported me because she worked with me. Later, when Ms. Lin was questioned by the investigation committee, she said after giving the members testimony favorable to my innocence they told her “you’re just saying that because you work with Curtis and you support him.” Both the committee members and the college president (and possibly Dr. Tsai) intimidated my witnesses (another was also an employee and good friend of Ms. Lin) and others to obstruct proof of my innocence – tampering with witnesses.
7.         As a human being, no matter a man or woman, I have the right to be informed if anyone thinks I did something to them that made them feel uncomfortable or more. Nothing from me occurred on that day or previously to lead to any conclusion that I intended to or did sexually harass Alice Yang. However, I have provided evidence and testimony that it was Alice Yang who made overtures to me by chat messages, by emails and by her actions on June 4 prior to the time of her accusation.
   What about my feelings? Nobody asked me or considered my feelings about Alice Yang and the false accusation that I touched her. For what reason(s) would I touch Alice Yang and sexually harass her, in front of hundreds of people all around us? Alice Yang, women, is not the only person who has feelings in this matter. She was just one of many students I taught at NTCN and I had no special friendship or interest in her and no reason to touch her.  In fact, I made it a point to avoid her whenever possible because of her overtures in her emails and chat messages and unnatural enthusiasm to talk to me after I arrived at the June 4 activity. As a student in my English class I had already observed some strange behavior in her and avoidance of her by classmates, so I already suspected something different and abnormal about her. The only reason I was even present at the activity and in the same area as Alice was because I was asked by NTCN to spend some time at their booth as a representative of the English group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment