Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Letter to Taiwan's President

  Yesterday I mailed a letter to Taiwan President Ma Ying-Jeou together with copies of my letter to the acting Judicial Yuan director and attachments. Here's the letter:

中華民國總統 馬英九先生
President Ma Ying-Jeou
10048 台北市中正區重慶南路一段122號
No. 122, Sec. 1, Chongching S. Rd., Zhongzheng District, Taipei City 10048
Tel:  2311-3731

Dear President Ma,

   Thank you for your time to read this letter. I am writing to you because I know you are a man very respected for your high standards of honesty, integrity and dignity.  For the past 3+ years, my own highly-regarded reputation, my career, and my life, have been assaulted by a small corrupt and immoral clique of government administrators. My case is not just a personal one, it is one that has happened and will continue to happen to other innocent people in Taiwan unless something is done now to prevent recurrences of this sort.
   In addition, with all the recent news on corruption and incompetence in the judiciary making headlines, I want to remind you that there are other victims of this plague on Taiwan’s courts – people wrongly accused and found guilty of crimes they didn’t commit. These are truly innocent people, in particular foreign workers and visitors in your country, who are denied the truth and justice and are victimized a second time. I am such a victim of this kind of injustice.
   It is heartening to read that you are taking this issue of judicial corruption and incompetence seriously by initiating a new body to tackle the problem and make recommendations to improve the Taiwan’s judiciary. I hope the investigations and meetings will also focus on how to improve the poor and often unfair situation foreigners face in Taiwan’s courts, prosecutors offices and administrative procedures, especially involving sexual harassment and related types of cases.
   I have attached a copy of a letter I sent to the acting head of the Judicial Yuan along with some documents so you can understand my case and situation better. If possible, I hope I could meet with you or someone on your staff to share my nightmare experience and help your government to improve the judiciary for all – Taiwanese and the hundreds of thousands of foreigners who visit and work in Taiwan and contribute so much to Taiwan’s growth and development.
   We all deserve the protection of our legal and human rights, and the presumption of our innocence, something that any country of democratic principles and ambitions of developed-country stature should provide regardless of nationality, race, color, origin or gender.


Regards,


Curtis W. Diggs Jr.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment