Sunday, February 27, 2011

Taiwan: The Twilight Zone Meets Groundhog Day!

  If someone ever decided to reprise the classic "Twilight Zone" series, I'd seriously consider writing a screenplay for an episode (or two) based on the almost 4 years this "tour-de-farce" of false accusation, deceit, cover ups, racial bias, kangaroo courts, legal misrepresentation, and judicial tomfoolery has been playing out here. All too often I've been left feeling as if I'm living in a different dimension, in some kind of bizarre & perverse alternate reality where injustice is justice, lies are the truth, a courtroom is merely another stage for "talk show-level" presentations of gossip, rumor and unsubstantiated "he said - she said" statements that defy any reasonable and substantial evidence presented by unfavored side, and attorneys are not at the service and defense of their clients but merely servants and defenders of the court.
  In another of a seemingly endless succession of "Groundhog Day" (the movie, starring Bill Murray) experiences, I was informed by the Legal Aid Foundation this week that I'd need to meet with the LAF chief on March 2 to discuss why the previous attorney opted to quit my case...the 3rd time in 5 attorneys I've had to explain a change of attorneys and "defend" myself from an assertion by the departed lawyer that I was the cause of their exit. As before, if I can prove that I was not being a "bad" client, then the LAF will approve getting me a new attorney. If not, they've said (for the second straight time) that they will terminate the agreement with me and I'll be on my own. B------s!
  Apparently, in Taiwan, at least concerning the LAF, if you express your disagreement with the lawyer or question his handling of your case or decisions, you are a troublemaker and subject to being "dismissed" by your attorney!
  If I could afford to hire and pay a decent lawyer, I surely would have before and would at this juncture, but as it is I'm way in debt and struggling week-to-week, month-to-month just to pay daily expenses and monthly bills...I've been stuck in a serious rock-in-a-hard-place for too long. While still staying in the lawsuit as long as there's still even a slight chance of prevailing, I'm also moving on with my life and work and trying not to plunge myself so deep into this battle as I did for the first 2+ years. It's a tough balancing act!

No comments:

Post a Comment